Sunday, August 26, 2012

It is well with my soul

Well, it hasn't been the last couple days. It's been the kind of thing where I slept okay, kids were behaving normally, nothing was that out of whack except for my attitude. Yesterday was rough. I prayed throughout the day for release from the feelings of frustration, resentment, sadness that I just couldn't shake, despite not really having a reason for them. It didn't come. Until this morning, when I came downstairs to a double batch of crock-pot soup that I had forgotten to freeze before bed. Ruined. Totally unsafe, according to my food-safety-inspector-dad. I was so tempted to just freeze it up and cross my fingers that no one got sick.

But, at Mark's urging, we tossed it. Sadly. Angrily. And then realized that things needed to start over. I vowed not to let this thing force me along the path of the last few days. Then we headed to church, and childcare was full of sobbing kids. Including Ari, whom no one was able to console because of the overloaded room. Again, as we carried her to the "Family Room", trying to comfort her, I prayed that it wouldn't push us over the edge again today. And praise God, during the great sermon from Pastor Chris and then communion, we received the peace and energy to continue on, despite crying kids, Ari's constant digging through my purse, and the lack of caffeine because I forgot my typical (as of late) morning Coke.

It made it all the more meaningful today to finish an art piece for the living room with the words, "It is well with my soul".


When Peace, like a river, attendeth my way, 
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
whatever my lot, though hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. Wonderful reminder!